STANDARD CERAMICS COURSE
Working in small groups with up to two tutors guiding you is designed so that each student operates individually, at a pace that suits them. Therefore, it is possible to join this type of course at any time in a group that has vacancies. You will be accompanied by participants following the course for a while, so you will constantly have an insight into the advanced methods that await you. Tutors will work with you on all segments that suit your level.
Flexible start of the course
The above-mentioned individual approach to the Standard Ceramics Course allows us to work continuously. That means you can join any group in which there are vacancies at any time. To make a reservation, all you have to do is contact us 5 to 7 days before the approximate date you'd love to join us, and we will tell you which timeslots are available. Reservations can be made up to two weeks in advance.
Flexible course duration
The Standard Ceramics Course has no time limit. You determine how long you would like to attend it and how you'd like to pay for the cycles of 4 sessions, each 3 hours long. When you use the fourth class, you decide whether you want to continue or not. The course, therefore, does not last 4 sessions. You pay for the cycle of 4 sessions and decide how many cycles you want. You can attend the class once a week at a chosen time, and it is possible to arrange several sessions a week if there's a need. To master the methods of working with clay, whether hand-building methods or on a potter's wheel, we recommend 6 months of education. That period will allow you to acquire sufficient knowledge for independent work with ceramics. Note: Classes within one cycle must be used within 28 days from the date of the first class - more details in the rulebook.
Technology and Methods
Course participants go through all segments of constructing an item from start to finish. You will learn the method of creating stoneware with final firing at a temperature of 1220°C. The standard course of ceramics includes learning hand-building methods in parallel with working on a potter's wheel. During the 3 hour lesson, you will create items on a potter's wheel for 1 hour. Optionally, it is possible to choose a variant of education that is dedicated only to handmade methods. With hand-building methods, all technical elements - from coil-building, slab-building and using auxiliary molds are in focus. More complex tasks are typically performed as a combination of these methods. Learning to work on a potter's wheel is done by gradually mastering the basics through an old-school approach - created so that you can develop a basic awareness in the shortest possible time. On average, it takes about 3 months of education, ie 12 hours, to master the basics of working with clay. When it comes to decoration, we provide our students with instructions regarding the use of glazes, oxides and engobes.
Materials and equipment provided
We provide everything necessary for the class. All materials are included in the price. The studio is equipped with several pottery wheels and work surfaces. Each student has a shelf for storing their art. Tools, rolls, rags, molds, auxiliary molds, brushes, bowls, needles and knives, aprons, etc. are available to all students. Clay, materials for decoration and firing of the resulting works are also included in the price. We use gray-white Arandjelovac clay without fireclay, ten different glazes, four types of oxides and 12 colors of engobes. You can find more details regarding the choice of materials and certain limitations in the regulations.
Sasa Matić, a potter with numerous years of experience, designed and led all classes. The guest educators are students of the 4th and 5th year of studies at the Faculty of Applied Arts at the Department of Ceramics: Jelena Babić, Milica Miladinović, Una Stojanović.
Bardak pottery studio is the successor of the tradition that begun by the association "Bulevar Umetnosti" over a decade ago. We're happy to say over 1500 students passed through our educational program. Experience and a particular approach to work are what sets us apart from others and allow us to set trends in this area. We hope we will live up to your expectations and that you will safely sail into the waters of a truly fascinating and creative world. If you opt for us, the following dates are available to you (it is necessary to check the availability of vacancies):
SESSIONS IN BELGRADE SESSIONS IN NOVI SAD
Sunday from 13:30 to 16:30
NOTE: Studio Keramike Bardak makes a decision on the application of the work rules on the use of terms and space in the ceramics studio, with which all participants in the ceramics course must be acquainted. All details will be available on our website, but also posted in the workspace. By paying for a certain type of course, it is assumed that you are familiar with the rules and agree with them.
When using paid terms, please pay special attention to the following rules:
- Paid 4 sessions of the Standard and Intensive Ceramics Course can be used within 28 days, starting from the date of the first session. If you use one appointment per week, one can be skipped during one week, each subsequent skip is counted as if you attended class. It is possible to have only one compensation per week.
- Reimbursement of the missed class if you requested a change of group only for that week must be realized no later than the next regular class, otherwise the class is lost.
- With the Mini Ceramics Course, all classes must be used continuously, it is not possible to make up for missed classes.
- If you do not arrive on the scheduled date, you need to call no later than 3 hours before the start of the class or, if the class is in the morning, the day before. Otherwise, it counts as if you were in class, even if you didn’t take the opportunity to skip education once.
- If you are late for class, you do not need to call, you are free to come at any time.
- In the case of a one-week break between two cycles, it is calculated as the skip used in the next cycle. Otherwise, we are not obliged to save a place in the group.
- You have a reserved spot only in the selected group. Should you transfer to another group, you must contact us to let us know. It is not possible to independently choose and change timeslots during the training.
- If you know that you will not be there for a longer period (2-3 weeks), you can agree with us on the use of the remaining terms, we just need to agree on the time.
- The course does not last 4 hours, but the cycle lasts that long. All works done in the last class can be fired at the stage they are in. If the modeling is completed they will be biscuit fired, if they are glazed they will be glazed fired. If you want to glaze the biscuit works, it is possible to take a single class later, or if you take a break, in the classes when you continue. We do not do service glazing.
- For all other situations, it is necessary to agree with the tutor before the date. We will accommodate you as much as we can.
- Agreements, after a missed class, are not possible.
Please pay attention and adhere to the following rules when staying in our studio and using our services:
- Careful access to materials that may be dangerous to your health is implied during your stay in the studio. Tutors will instruct you on how to handle all materials, machines and provide the necessary protective equipment. Please pay special attention when handling the hot air gun.
- Users are required to clean all tools, machines and work surfaces they use from clay and other materials after use. Also, after finishing the work on the potter's wheel, it is necessary to clean it.
- Students take care of their private tools, materials and works, and they will be provided with one shelf to store them.
- All literature in the studio is available to students, but it is not allowed to take books, scripts or magazines out of the space.
- Smoking is not allowed in any part of the studio.
- It is not allowed to touch other people's things from the shelves, which especially refers to the works in the production process.
- The material for producing the items included in the price is limited and includes the following quantities monthly: up to max. 10 kg of clay, oxides (copper, manganese, iron, cobalt), engobe (about 12 different colors), glazes (white, white matt, black, matte black, transparent, yellow, light blue, green to cover larger areas and two bonus glazes red and purple - for one work in a cycle).
- Firing included within the course refers to the size of the works that fall within the frame of 25x25x25cm.
- You have the right to use your materials (clay, glaze, engobe, oxide, hobby paints, stickers, etc.) only in consultation with the tutor.
- We keep the works that remain with us after the completion of the training for 28 days, starting from the last day of the course. After completing the training, talk with the educator about taking over the items.
- Be sure to sign pieces you made, we are not responsible for unsigned pieces.
During the pandemic, the following rules must be observed:
- Mandatory proper wearing of masks indoors during education.
- Mandatory hand washing and disinfection.
- Mandatory footwear disinfection (deso barrier).
- The maximum number of participants in the group is 8.
- Classes can be paused only if the student has a positive test on Covid-19, for all other situations it is possible to use one skip provided within each cycle.
- When working, try to keep the recommended distance of 1.5 m.
- In case of reporting an infection within the group, we forward the notification to all members of the group.